Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beth Dunn

PostSubject: The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly   Fri 19 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm

“Jack McEvoy is at the end of the line as a crime reporter. Once a hotshot in the newsroom, jack is now in the crosshairs of the latest set of layoffs at the Los Angeles Times. He decides to go out with a bang, using his final days at the paper to write the definitive murder story of his career.”

Let me start by saying that the author, Michael Connelly, is one of my “new” favorite mystery/crime authors. I first starting reading his Harry Bosch novels, and have followed him since.

The Scarecrow revisits the character of Jack McEvoy who last appeared in "The Poet". McEvoy. He is working on one last story, a gang banger accused of murdering a woman and putting her body in the trunk of a car, when he gets caught in the web of a serial killer.

If you spend time on the web, be warned, this will make you want to rip out the Internet connection in your house. A great plot, techy, yet written so non-techs can understand. Jack McEvoy, a newspaper journalist, discovers that the killer he is tracking is always one step ahead of him, and seems to know his every move. There are lots of twists and a terrific story that will keep you on the edge of your chair until the last surprising page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Scarecrow, by Michael Connelly   Sun 05 Jul 2009, 6:59 am

Great review Beth. It's funny on that internet thing, I took a seminar on computer forensics a while ago put on by an absolute brilliant guy over at our State's Attorney's office. The majority of his cases involved apprehending predators of children. But the internet was his biggest tool. I came away with the profound understanding that everything we do, in any way related to the internet, can be public domain. Interestingly too, all the methods people think they have to wipe off hard drives, interim memories, stuff like that ~ the gov. is usually one stop ahead ... because of guys like this who live and love catching the bad guys.

It would be cool to see that all come to play in a novel. This might be a good one for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.4umer.net

Page 1 of 1