Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lori

PostSubject: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)   Fri 09 Jan 2009, 8:30 pm

For my book I picked Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. The main character in this book is the crazy wife that's in the attic in Jane Eyre. I had been wanting to read this book for awhile. I heard that it gave some insight into how she got to be the way she was. The book was a quicker read than I thought. I must say I was disappointed. The whole story was a bit vague and I really didn't feel I understood her or Mr. Rochester any better. I will only give it 2 1/2 stars. I wouldn't recommend it.

In the spirit of overachieving I started another book from the list. The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro. I picked this one because his book The Remains of the Day was great. I also read another book by him that I hated. I guess I wanted a tie breaker. Well, I have given up on The Unconsoled. I got about 60 pages in, put it down and have no desire to pick it back up. The only emotion I felt was frustration. So back to the list..

If anyone wants some ideas I would highly recommend Pride and Prejudice, The Remains of the Day and The Confederacy of Dunces.

Lori
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)   Fri 09 Jan 2009, 9:39 pm

Wow, this is interesting. I have When We Were Orphans by Ishiguro in my TBR ("to be read") pile, but you are not the first person who seems to think the guy has a split personality in regards to his writing. Sixty pages sure is giving it a go!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm very unsure which novel to pick for this topic and I think it's just 'round the bend.

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.4umer.net
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 10:16 am

When We Were Orphans was the one I wanted to throw out the plane. The only reason I finished it was because it was all I had to read on the plane and the headphones in our row were out. Plus I kept hoping it would have a good ending. It was horrible. I didn't like the characters, the story, the ending anything. The Remains of the Day was so good it was amazing to me that this one was so bad. Don't bother.

Lori
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)   Sat 10 Jan 2009, 9:51 pm

Okay, I just took a very close look at this list (it's my next topic). Egads, what a mess. There are some truly bad novels on there ... like books I would not wish on anyone.

This will certainly be interesting.

Carolyn
Admin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wrrc.4umer.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)   

Back to top Go down

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (c. 1966)
Page 1 of 1