Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC)

Category-Based Online Book Club ~ To Learn and Share our Literary Treasures

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

have a little faith by Mitch Albom

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karen We

PostSubject: have a little faith by Mitch Albom   Mon 09 Nov 2009, 4:56 pm

This book is currently 3rd on the New York Times Best Seller list for hardcover non-fiction.

Albom is no stranger to the best seller list. His first book, "Tuesdays with Morrie" was a national bestseller and was made into a movie as well. His two novels, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and "For One More Day" were instant bestsellers too.

In his newest book, Albom is asked by his former rabbi to do the eulogy at his funeral. At first Albom is under the impression that Albert Lewis or the "reb" as he is affectionately called is near death right now. But he is actually in pretty good shape which gives Albom several years' time in which to reestablish his relationship with his rabbi and really get to know who this holy man really is.

In reality, Albom admits that he was always scared of his rabbi and ran the other way whenever he saw him coming. I had to laugh because that is how I always felt whenever I saw a priest heading my way. I guess I always thought that he would ask me something I wouldn't know the correct answer to.

After a few visits together though, Albom begins to get to know the real "reb" and a friendship starts to blossom between the two men. The "reb" seems to have a story or anecdote for everything and Albom as well as the reader soon find themselves on a very interesting journey to belief. The "reb" gives his answer to the age-old question, "what is the secret of happiness?" as well as his ideas on what is wrong with society today and why we just aren't connected to each other as was the case decades ago. He discusses how different religions can co-exist and how we should never lose sight of the fact that we need to believe in something bigger than ourselves.

Besides the story of Albert Lewis and Albom, the reader also meets a man named Henry Covington who also is a vibrant church leader in Detroit. His is quite a story too and before you know it you've read another 50 pages in the blink of an eye because Albom has such a talent for telling someone's story and making you feel like you're right there in the same room having a talk with these two men.

"have a little faith" makes you realize what is important in life and indeed is another jewel from Mitch Albom.
Back to top Go down

have a little faith by Mitch Albom
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Well Rounded Reading Cooperative (WRRC) :: The Twelve Categories - 2009 :: 9. The Buzz Listers-
Jump to: